Monday, April 14, 2014

Movie Spoilers

I thought I would give DC the week off, let them recover a bit before the second round. Over the weekend I went to the movies and saw the new Captain America movie: Captain American the Winter Soldier. Personally, Captain America has never been my favorite hero in the Marvel franchise (in part because I'm Canadian) but this movie was in a word...AWESOME!

 I was trying to think of how to talk about this movie without giving anything away so after giving it some thought I've decided to fill it with spoilers and you will have to find a way to be ok with that.

After watching Thor: the Dark World, I was disappointed. Not to say that it was a bad movie but I found it lacked in certain aspects, such ass character development in both Thor and the main antagonist Malekith, who had the potential to be an amazing villain but who instead was vague and hardly present. (I have personally heard people refer to him as “that elf guy”). I was concerned that Marvel had reached its peek and the quality of the movies was beginning to drop.

 However, I was happily mistaken. The new movie was exciting, action-packed, funny, and brought in new layers of Marvel characters. In adition to the returning Captain America, Black Widow,Nick Fury and other favorites, characters I thought would never work in a live action movie like Arnim Zola and the Falcon seemed to fit seamlessly into the Marvel cinematic universe, something that would not be easy to do considering it’s a man who downloaded himself into a computer and a man who flies around with high tech wings.

The movie had its share of memorable moments like the death of Nick Fury which had me nearly jumping out of my seat in anger (until he came back half way through), and the return of captain America’s side-kick Bucky Barns as the deadly assassin the Winter Soldier. But all this pales in comparison to the realization that the Nazi splinter group Hydra, though disbanded at the end of WWII, had actually infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D at the highest level and are now behind the wheel of three heavily armed helicarriers capable of eliminating millions of targets in a matter of minutes. It’s all just so awesome!

Not to mention the after-credits scene introducing new heroes to appear in the Avengers: Age of Ultron, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) and Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) (of which I already was aware of because of thorough internet research).

I’ll stop rambling before this post becomes pages long. If you haven’t seen the movie see it.

Excelsior, Marc out.

3 comments:

  1. Marc, thank you for spoiling this movie for me (although I had it coming from your warnings), but I find it really cool that marvel keeps on expanding their hero list by continuously adding new heroes to the avengers. Pretty soon there are going to be hundreds of them and it will be hard to keep track. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a devoted Marvel fan, I couldn't agree more. My only priority on April 4th was to see the movie and fangirl afterwards (which I did, thoroughly). Even though the Captain America film series doesn't have the awesome Iron Man suit-up scenes, or the beautiful CGI of Asgard, it's as grounded as a super hero movie can get. It made for a nice change of pace, and thanks to an incredibly well written story, with tremendous actors to bring it to life, Captain America: The Winter Soldier has become my current favorite Marvel movie. Fingers crossed for Guardians of the Galaxy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, and you can bet that guardians of the galaxy is going to be awesome. A word to DC: "Marvel's got a movie with a talking tree and a raccoon in space, and you have...?" Coming to theatres August 1. And don't forget about X-Men: days of future past that will be out on May 23. Looking forward to everything Marvel has to offer.

      Excelsior, Marc out.

      Delete